Friday 7 July 2017

6 IBSC swimmers made it to 9th ASEAN School Games 2017 in Singapore

ASEAN School Games (ASG) is an annual games for high schools in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and organised under the authority of the ASEAN Schools Sports Council (ASSC). The ASSC is an apolitical regional sports council that promotes sports among member countries.


This year, 2017, the Ministry of Education (Singapore) will be hosting the 9th ASEAN Schools Games (ASG) from 13 to 21 July 2017. 9 ASEAN countries will be participating ie.  Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia. The 10 sports that will be organised in this edition are Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Gymnastics, Netball, Sepak Takraw, Swimming, Table Tennis, Tenpin Bowling and Volleyball. Approximately 1800 athletes and officials are expected to participate in this event.

IBSC is extremely proud that 6 of its swimmers have been selected to participate in the 9th ASEAN School Games 2017 in Singapore which will be scheduled from 13-21 July, 2017.


Incidentally all males, they are (clockwise from top) Ng Kai Wen [left], Brandy Chew, Sebastian Soon, Low Ken Ji, Iqmal Muqhis bin Faizal and Steve Khiew Hoe Yean.

The athletes are required to check into a centralised training camp starting this weekend, from 9 - 12 July, 2017 at Johor Sports School prior to crossing the border for the competition.

Eagerly awaiting the camp and regional competition, they expressed their expectations and targets in the school games. Excerpted from the swimmers' messages to the club, they shared their aspiration and hope.
Ng Kai Wen, is feeling simply ecstatic and excited on his maiden appearance in the Asean School Games. "Swim all you can", he expressed it short and precise and "I just expect to improve on my timings", he added.
Sebastian Soon, currently training under the national team, felt excited having the opportunities to meet friends again from other states and countries during the camp and race. On his wish list, he said "I hope the camp will provide healthy food and comfortable place to rest so as to prepare us adequately for the School Games. I think I will perform better if my body condition is good, so lets see....  I  also hope to contribute to Malaysia by winning at least one medal in my pet event, the 400m IM."
Brandy Chew, was rather astonished when he found out his name was in the list of selected swimmers. He expressed "I am really happy that I qualify for ASG. I don't really have a high expectation of myself as the Asean School Games is a competition among all the best swimmers from other countries. All I hope is that I can hit a new personal best and learn something new from a meet of this big scale."
Low Ken Ji, hopes to do well in Singapore for ASG. In the camp, he also hopes to compare notes and see the performance of his team mates. He declared, "I feel that I may not be able to achieve 100% performance but nevertheless I will try my best and in the process hopefully I am able to hit my PBs during the meet."  
 Iqmal Muqhis, a happy-go-lucky guy, was kind of excited in going to the camp and race but with mixed feelings. "I have not been training much because of the fasting month but I will try to swim my best", he responded. "Hopefully I will improve on my time and get a medal"
Steve Khiew,  honoured to be selected once again to ASG, he conveyed "I expect the camp to be an exciting one. I will try my best to win some medals in the meet and hopefully bring back at least one gold for my country. 200m backstroke event could land me a good chance". He went on to say, "I would like to wish all my team mates the best of luck". 

IBSC also wishes all of them the best in the 9th ASEAN School Games 2017, Singapore.

Updates on the school games and results can be tracked via the host's link below.
https://www.moe.gov.sg/microsites/asg2017/desktop/

Meanwhile, the swimming timetable can be viewed here.

#Aseanschoolgames2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...